Phone: (86) 27-8754-4355
Academic Areas: Design, Drive and Control of Electrical Machines
Ronghai Qu received his B.E.E. and M.S.E.E. degrees from Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, in 1993 and 1996, respectively, and the Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from University of Wisconsin-Madison, in 2002.
In 1998, he joined the Wisconsin Electric Machines and Power Electronics Consortiums as Research Assistant. He became a Senior Electrical Engineer with Northland, a Scott Fetzer Company in 2002. Since 2003, he had been with the General Electric (GE) Global Research Center, Niskayuna, NY as a Senior Electrical Engineer with the Electrical Machines and Drives Laboratory. He has authored over 80 published technical papers and is the holder of over 50 patents/patent applications. Since 2010, he is the "Thousands of People Plan" professor and vice dean of School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Huazhong University of Science & Technology, Wuhan, China.
Prof. Qu is a senior member of IEEE and a full member of Sigma Xi. He was the recipient of several awards from GE Global Research Center since 2003, including the Technical Achievement and Management Awards. He was the recipient of the 2003 and 2005 Best Paper Awards, third prize, from the Electric Machines Committee of the IEEE Industry Applications Society.
Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Aug. 2002, University of Wisconsin-Madison;
M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Mar. 1996, Tsinghua University;
B.S. in Electrical Engineering, July, 1993, Tsinghua University.
Professor(Aug. 2010-present), Huazhong University of Science and Technology, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering,
Senior Professional Engineer (Jan. 2003-July 2010), GE Global Research Center,
Senior Development Engineer (July 2002-Jan. 2003), Northland, a Scott Fetzer company,
Faculty member (April 1996-July 1998), Tsinghua University, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, National Power Electronics and Electrical Drives Laboratory.
- Dawei Li, Ronghai Qu, Zhe Zhu, “Comparison of Halhach and Dual-Side Veriner Permanent Magnet Machines” IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol.50, no.2, pp. 7019804, Feb.2014.
- Yingzhen Liu, Ronghai Qu, Jin Wang, “Comparative Analysis on Superconducting Direct-drive Wind Generators with Iron Teeth and Air-gap Windings,” IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, vol. 24, no. 3, pp.5201405, Jun. 2014.
- Dawei Li, Ronghai Qu, T.A.lipo, “High Power Factor Vernier Permanent Magnet Machines,” in IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE) 2013, 15-19 Sept,2013,pp.1534-1540.
- Ronghai Qu, Dawei Li, Jin Wang, “Relationship between Magnetic Gears and Vernier Machines,” in IEEE International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2011, 20-23 Aug, 2011,pp.1-6.
- Ronghai Qu, Gerald B Kliman, and Ralph J Carl, “Split-Phase Claw-Pole Induction Machines with Soft Magnetic Composite Cores”, IEEE IAS’04, Seattle, WA, Oct. 2004, Vol. 4, pp. 2514-2519.
- Ronghai Qu, and T. A. Lipo, “Dual-rotor, Radial-flux, Toroidally Wound, Permanent-magnet Machines”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 39, No.6, Nov/Dec 2003, pp. 1655-1673.
(80+ papers in IEEE journals, conferences and other international conferences/publications)
- Ronghai Qu, Thomas A Lipo, Dual-rotor, Radial-flux, Toroidally-wound, Permanent-magnet Machines, Patent #: US6,924,574 B2
- Ronghai Qu, Thomas J Tyska, Motor-based Electrical Power Supply, Patent #: US6727621
- Ronghai Qu, James W Bray, Superconducting Rotating Machines with Stationary Field Coils and Axial Airgap Flux, Patent #: US7049724
- Ronghai Qu, Patrick L Jansen, Bharat S Bagepalli, Ralph J Carl JR, Aniruddha D Gadre, Fulton J Lopez, Electrical Machines and Assemblies including a Yokeless Stator with Modular Lamination Stacks, Patent #: US7692357, US20060131985, DE102005060180A1, FR2883430A1.
- Ronghai Qu, James W Bray, Superconducting Rotating Machines with Stationary Field Coils, filed Oct. 2005. Patent #: US7315103.
(Patents: 50+ US/CN (and many foreign) with several pending)
Awards and Honors
- Innovation Achievement Award, Project of Motor Drive Systems in EV, Dec. 2012
- PCS Technical Achievement Award, GE GRC, 2010
- Global Reward & Recognition, Level-7 Award, GE GRC, July, 2010
- Global Reward & Recognition, Management Award, GE Energy, Apr. 2010
- Global Reward & Recognition - MST Technology Transfer Award, GE GRC, Mar. 2010
- GE GRC Award for Outstanding Teamwork, Nov, 2009
- GE GRC Award for Outstanding Teamwork, March, 2009
- GE Inventor Award – Invention Fulcrum of Progress, 2008
- Night on the Town Award, GE Global Research Center, Apr. 2006
- Best Paper Award, Third Prize, Electric Machines Committee of the IEEE IAS, 2005
- EPST Technical Achievement Award, GE Global Research Center, Jan. 2005
- GE Patent Award, GE Global Research Center, Nov. 2004
- Management Award, GE Global Research Center, Feb. 2004
- Best Paper Award, Third Prize, Electric Machines Committee of the IEEE IAS, 2003
- Excellent Advisor Award, Tsinghua University, June, 1998
- Excellent Faculty Member Award, First Prize, Tsinghua University, Jan. 1998
Login and edit information
- Center for Advanced Electrical Machines & Drives
- Vernier Permanent Magnet Machines
- Permanent Magnet Synchronous ServoMotors
- Large Permanent Magnet Direct-drivenWind Generator
- Large-scale Superconducting Direct-drive Offshore Wind Generator
- Large Permanent Magnet Traction Motors for High Speed Trains
- Motor Drive Systems forElectric Vehicles